I’m excited to hear about the European Telecommunications Standards Institute (ETSI) progress made by their industry specification group on Fixed Fifth Generation (F5G) networks. F5G endeavors to promote fiber cabling for homes, businesses and into industry verticals. They seek to build on the proven global success of Fiber-to-the-Home and apply it to Fiber-to-the-Everything. At its core, F5G strives to leverage optical transport networks, XGS-PON and Wi-Fi 6 technologies.
This initiative hits close-to-home for Tellabs, since over the past decade we have successfully deployed a combination of optical transport networks with Optical LAN (both G-PON and symmetrical 10 gigabit XGS-PON) within the U.S. federal government and U.S. Department of Defense. These large networks are serving multiple buildings, across expansive campuses, and at a scale that warrants the marriage of optical transport, optical access and Fiber-to-the-Desktop architecture – even including Wi-Fi connectivity over Optical LAN.
Today, Tellabs’ enterprise focused Optical LAN (based on 10G XGS-PON and often connecting Wi-Fi 6 access points) is the industry leader with the widest variety of unique market verticals (e.g. healthcare, transportation, manufacturing, retail, stadiums, casinos) and shear number of connected smart building and Internet of Things (IoT) devices – clearly achieving Fiber-to-the-Everything!
ETSI F5G continues to gain traction for all the same reasons as Optical LAN, such as:
- Copper cabling has reached its performance limits
- Fiber cabling offers superior speed and better user experience
- It enables a more graceful digital transformation for businesses
- Fiber better supports the rapid progression of wireless technologies (e.g. Wi-Fi 6 and 5G)
- It enjoys the best cradle-to-grave life cycle analysis with useful life beyond 15 years
- PON is more energy efficient and avoids the use of high carbon footprint materials
- Fiber and PON are the best choice for investment protection and a future-proof network
It is great to see initiatives like F5G receive worldwide acceptance. We (Tellabs) applaud their global advocation of fiber-based connectivity, including wired and wireless, that are both a smart and sustainable choice for modern homes, businesses, and cities.
To stay current with all Optical LAN advancements, we suggest you connect with us on your favorite social media channel, such as Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube.