Networking and IT pros know that connectivity demands inside buildings, and across extended campuses, are growing rapidly in both bandwidth (e.g. wireless, video) and in density (e.g. IoT, healthy/smart building). Today’s modern connected devices are needing greater bandwidth capacity while their sheer numbers are accelerating too. Making matters even worse is the fact that multiple gigabit capacity is now necessary too (e.g. Wi-Fi v6). Past experience also reminds us that these technology rip-and-replace events drain the already taxed IT resources, are extremely disruptive to business, they cost a lot of money and the fix may only be good for 3 to 7 years.
Tellabs Optical LAN (or OLAN) is the better way to build and operate enterprise networks. It starts with promoting the use of future-proof fiber optic cabling across local area networks and reducing the use of copper CATx cabling. Next, the OLAN design speeds IT productivity through simplification. It reduces network security vulnerability points, and it offers flexible design options to right-size capacity and density. Now XGS-PON adds the support for multiple 10 gigabit OLAN transmissions, alongside the 2.5 gigabit G-PON, and all over the same existing fiber infrastructure – with the ability to increase speeds (e.g. 25G PON, 40G PON) and add more wavelengths (e.g. standards allow for eight wavelengths) in the future.
Tellabs Optical LAN support of multiwavelength benefits IT pros, and save money for their companies, in the following ways:
- Non-disruptive migration from G-PON to 10G PON
- Save money by converging services and networks
- Add bandwidth capacity for a fraction of past costs
- Increase connectivity density over same LAN
- Reduce fiber cabling in campus, risers and horizontal
- Exceed “circular economy” goals for sustainability initiatives
- Protect your infrastructure investment for decades!
Finally, OLAN multiwavelength is ideal for many practical enterprise network usages, such as:
- Extended campuses
- Today and next generation Wi-Fi
- Multi-Tenant and OLAN “as a Service”
- Graceful migration from G-PON to 10G PON
- Significant contributions to corporate environment “green” programs
- Even overlay 3rd party manufacturer’s G-PON installs
This is now all possible with Tellabs Optical LAN and its multiwavelength support! It is a contemporary network design that is easier for IT staff to manage, delivers previously unobtainable operational business flexibilities, cost less to install and offers investment protection measured in decades not years.
If you would like to learn more about Optical LAN, XGS-PON and multiwavelength, you can simply click here to view our recent short 30-minute webinar on-demand titled “Multi-Rate Ethernet and Multi-Wavelength Optical LAN.”