As service providers transition their networks to an all-IP Ethernet infrastructure, they are struggling with the challenges of Class-5 switch migration. Class-5 switches have reliably delivered POTS, special services and business services for many decades, but now the operation of these legacy network elements presents ever growing obstacles to overcome:
- Disappearing External Support – The original manufacturers have MD’d the switches and no longer offer support.
- Widening Internal Skillset Gap – Personnel retirements are accelerating and with them goes critical technical knowledge.
- Risk of Greater Liability – Replacement parts are scarce, component and system failure rates increasing.
- Increased Operational Expense –Class-5 switch capacity drastically decreasing, significant power and HVAC drain, and occupying large physical real estate.
Migrating to a packet-based regional softswitch addresses most of these challenges but fails to provide a complete solution. Softswitches do not support all the special services and business services that the Class-5 switch provides. This means that a small number of Class-5 switches will need to be retained to offer Class-5 services until alternative solutions are developed.
The Tellabs 1000 MSAP was specifically created to cost-effectively distribute 100% of the Class-5 services over TDM or IP/Ethernet transport networks. This capability allows rehoming of services to a reduced number of Class-5 switches, so that most can be removed from the network. The Tellabs 1000 MSAP also delivers IP DSL and Ethernet services, allowing for continuing network and service evolution long after the last Class-5 switch is finally retired. By deploying the Tellabs 1000 MSAP, along with a softswitch migration, service providers can:
- Reduces operational expenses
- Increase service delivery reliability
- Permanently improves cost structure
- Leverage an existing fully operationalized access platform that has unwavering industry wide support, the Tellabs 1000 MSAP!
To learn more about how the Tellabs 1000 MSAP solves the challenges of Class-5 switch replacement for telecommunication network operators, you can visit our Class-5 switch replace webpage or read this ISE Magazine article titled “It’s Time for a Switch.“